[Euro-board] Update on proposal for a MoU between EURALO and RIPE

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Mar 25 15:43:09 UTC 2017

Dear EURALO Board members,

Chris Buckridge and Suzanne Taylor, from RIPE, have met in Copenhagen
with Wolf Ludwig and me to further discuss the drafting of a MoU between
EURALO and RIPE. I am glad to report that things are moving in the right
direction. The basis for a MoU could be the MoU between NARALO and ARIN
(attached) which sets out basic topics for cooperation. For the sake of
completion, I have also added the other RALO MoUs that have been signed.

Currently NARALO will be having its general assembly at the ARIN
meeting. https://community.icann.org/x/GSWAAw
Maybe one day we'll be able to do the same at a RIPE meeting.

As a reminder, the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) are the
organisations that coordinate the world's IP addresses. They are all
part of the Address Supporting Organisation (ASO) in ICANN. I remember
many  conversations with Ray Plzak, a long time ICANN Board member (
https://www.icann.org/profiles/raymond-a-plzak ) now retired, where he
urged that At-Large and the RIRs should work more together. He should be
happy as this is slowly coming together with the signing of these MoUs
in ICANN's 5 regions.

As RIPE is located in Amsterdam and we have an ALS representative based
in Amsterdam, Bastiaan Goslings (ISOC NL), who regularly interacts with
RIPE, Chris Buckridge and others, I have discussed with Wolf, the
possibility that we ask Bastiaan to keep an eye over the preparations of
the MoU, so that we can aim for a signature at the ICANN Abu Dhabi
meeting, as RIPE has offices in the region there, but no offices in the
location of the next ICANN meeting in Johannesburg.

Feedback appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Olivier