[Euro-board] [Ext] Re: meeting with you/EURLAO board in Copenhagen

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Mar 25 14:32:33 UTC 2017

Dear Adam,

following-up on your email below:

On 23/03/2017 18:46, Adam Peake wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> Apologies for not following-up.  Yes, would be very pleased to have a
> call.  Would you like it before or after RightsCon? I will be travelling
> early next week.  We will have chance to chat with/work with Bastiaan
> Thursday/Friday, so perhaps after?
>
> I have various EURALO and At-Large docs to send to the printers for the
> booth, and I am in touch with At-Large staff about background materials we
> can use when talking with RightsCon participants.

I'd really like both Jean-Jacques and you to have a call with the EURALO
Board as soon as we can after the RightsCon meeting. We still have 5
CROPP slots to use by end of FY16 which is 31 June 2017.
The last two meetings of the financial year are therefore going to be
EuroDIG Tallinn (6-7 June) and WSIS Forum Geneva (12-16 June). I have
not identified any other events that would be worth attending reaching
out for members - please suggest some as soon as possible.
We have missed the opportunity to send people to RightsCon through CROPP
due to my fault of being too late to file the application. Filing for
CROPP needs to be undertaken 8 weeks before travel, thus for EuroDIG our
selection of candidates should be done by 11th April.
Asking the EURALO Board:
1. should we focus on EuroDIG (for example 2-3 participants) and WSIS
Forum (2-3 participants)
2. should we focus on other (probably earlier) events, thus we need to
decide NOW
3. Erich Schweighofer has made a suggestion for outreach. Erich has done
a lot of work with Academic Computer Societies. Examples of this are the
OCG – for Austrian informatics professionals – and WZRI – for academics
in central and Eastern Europe – and therefore other computing societies
or academic institutions would be ideal targets for outreach. Using
their existing structures, interested people can meet and participate
using the ALSs. Recently, Erich participated in CEPIS (Council of
European Professional Informatics Societies), and wrote a paper
presented at their Board Meeting end of November 2016. In there, he
presented the advantages of computer societies to be more active in
ICANN. Are there any meetings of computer societies that we should be
sending ambassadors to, to perform outreach?
4. Evan Leibovitch, of NARALO, has long advocated that we should also be
looking outside the usual circles. For example, he cited CEBIT (
http://www.cebit.de/en/ ) and the Las Vegas CES ( http://www.ces.tech/ )
both of which we missed this year. I have never been to CES, but I have
attended CEBIT a few years ago. I did not find that there was any policy
discussion going on there -- quite the contrary, it was mostly a trade
show, with people trying to sell their products. I wonder whether anyone
has a different view on this.

Kindest regards,

Olivier