[At-Large] input to WSIS+20 comments sought

christian de larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Sun Mar 12 14:52:46 UTC 2023

That's very thoughtful and thorough. But just an observation on your
useful bifurcation.

Muddling through requires a social consensus (on what is acceptable
practice) and the basis for that is breaking down. The UK has made a
long term virtue of muddling through as a core way to handle strategic
governance but it is under very serious strain because unwritten rules
that underpin this have been disastrously flouted.

The alternative top down governance model largely sites outside national
democratic institutions and is doing rather well for itself if you see what BIS
are saying about carving up crypto and WIPO carving up "streaming"
content just now. They are not alone. They openly admit what they
"recommend" becomes law in the most important economies. The question
then for citizens is to ponder what is the role of a Parliament other than make those
laws and Supreme Courts to enforce them?

--
christian de larrinaga
https://firsthand.net