[At-Large] input to WSIS+20 comments sought

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 20:49:02 UTC 2023

Dear Marita,

I don't think that a quick-and-dirty email consultation on the eve of an
ICANN F2F, collecting some knee-jerk snippets, is the way to go towards
answering this huge question. Enemy as I am of process bloat let me propose
that we approach this with a bit more structure. Happy to contribute.

Alejandro Pisanty

On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 12:38 PM Marita Moll via At-Large <
at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:

> Colleagues, I will have 3 minutes in the WSIS+20 public forum on Wednesday
> to address the following question from an enduser perspective --
>
> *How does your community explain what are the essentials to protect the
> global internet and to formulate a long-term vision that works for
> politicians.* *Note that WSIS+20 is a UN process which is multilateral --
> so working with political allies would be essential.
>
> Background: WSIS2003 (World Summit on the Information Society) was an
> intergovernmental conference where other groups had access and observer
> status which was a step forward at the time. It established a working group
> on internet governance (WGIG) which was multistakeholder and which
> developed the following definition --
>
> "Internet governance is the development and application by governments,
> the private sector and civil society, in their respective roles, of shared
> principles, norms, rules, decision-making procedures and programmes that
> shape the evolution and use of the Internet." This led to the establishment
> of the Internet Governance Forum (2006)
>
> How would we see this definition evolving and what kinds of resources are
> needed to realize that goal?
>
> I would welcome any input.
>
> Marita

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614