[At-Large] ALAC Ratification of the ALS Mobilization Working Party Final Report

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Dec 3 02:46:14 UTC 2020

Thanks for the comment Tijani,

To be clear, the proposed Bylaw changes that were
in the earlier version were issues discovered
while the ALS-Mob-WP performed their duties of
reviewing all of the documents. However, none of
the issues discovered (an error in the intro
paragraph of the ALAC section of the Bylaws, the
confusing use of "certify" and "accredit" and the
problem of the Bylaw still referring to
individual members as an option) were actually
related to the recommendation that the WP was making related to ALSes.

So nothing is harmed by delaying discussion of
that section. And it is important to approve the
ALS-related recommendation so that we can report
to the Board that it is done (a report is
required no later than the end of December) and
of course start the work of implementation.

Referring to the Office of the General Counsel is
simply a mechanism to ensure that there will not
be any surprises down the road. There has been
abundant time for people to comment on the
proposals, and short of your comment that was
based on an incorrect report version being
posted, there have been NO negative comments on
the intent of what was being proposed. Lastly, I
note that it is typical in ICANN to have the
legal team do the actual drafting of Bylaws so
clearly they see them before the group concerned.
Ultimately, the request to the Board to amend the
Bylaws will have to come from the ALAC and that will ensure full support.

Alan