[At-Large] A few suggestions for when you're on camera in ZOOM!

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Tue Oct 13 23:24:45 UTC 2020

Karl, indeed 95% or more of the information content is carried by speech/voice. Videoconferencing from 1993/1995 (H.320, V-Tel era) had to solve the echo-suppression problem before it worked on image where there is no serious problem with delay due to transmission and most importantly signal processing.

Why set up a videoconference in which 80% of the participants will show only their names or a fixed image?

Where did all those years of all-night voice teleconferencing go and what did they teach us?

Also look at a piece of software called Beulr which is said to be a bot able to attend zoom classes instead of you.

Not to say past times were better, only to emphasize the need for reasonable behavior.

Amazing, though, that we are once again spending so many cycles on proper Power Point...

Alejandro Pisanty