[At-Large] Zoom supports interpretation within Zoom calls

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Mar 4 04:27:20 UTC 2020

Hi Barrack,

Thanks for asking

Tuesday we used 2 separate zoom calls which I then reconfigged to 2
livestreams.

Feeds were
1) Video and stage audio (from mixer)

2) Slides (from presenter PC screenshare) and amharic translation (from
wireless headset feed)

Marrying those into one call might not be such a good idea as the
presentation PC would by nature be bringing in the video and stage audio,
using extra bandwidth, and which could cause audio problems if anyone
wanted to show a video. They'd have to mute the zoom audio, presumably.

The issue I had was when someone spoke Amharic on stage. The Amharic feed
would go dead. I could switch the stage audio through to amharic
livestream, but I had no english feed. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of
Amharic spoken.

Hard for me to actually know exactly how the set up is that end, but I
guess the interpretation wireless,device is somehow switchable between
English and Amharic. Thus the solution is to have someone that end switch
channels on that while I simultaneusly switch audio on both both channels
here. Not impossible.

Because today there are three breakouts I don't know how much of that we'll
manage, but I'll do my best to make it happen during the plenaries.

https://isoc.live/11843/

joly

Joly MacFie  +2185659365