[At-Large] Fwd: ATLASIII Participation

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Jul 13 22:23:58 UTC 2019

I agree with your dim assessment in many ways, but not all.

There is something that the ALAC can do, and relatively easily.

The issue of naming is beginning to move beyond the domain name system -
there will be (and are) issues of naming of "topics" for IoT networking;
there are issues in cloud computing of entities as they split, move, and
merge; etc.

Now on one hand there is a lot of technological issues in there - which
are better left to the IETF and similar groups.

On the other hand there are major non-technical lessons to be learned
from ICANN of what ought to be done in the world of governance including
issues of whether-or-not-to-govern, what-to-do, what-not-to-do,
ownership information access (the whois issue again), etc.

The ALAC of all the bodies in ICANN, is in the best position to step
back and give an unbiased (at least, commercially unbiased) assessment
and roadmap for that future.

     --karl--