[At-Large] [GTLD-WG] [CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Planning for Round Two of New gTLDS is open?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Jul 2 14:02:29 UTC 2019

Hi Kali,

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 08:53, Kaili Kan <kankaili at gmail.com> wrote:

now the problem is not at the supply side, but at the demand.

I would argue that there has never been a supply issue. There was no effort
to conserve domain space through better use of third-level domains. Indeed,
rampant speculation encouraged by ICANN has caused the artificial shortages
that claim to be solved through new gTLDs.

>   This is exactly what we do not agree upon:  In my view the market is
> already saturated, while you believe there is still a substantial unmet
> demand. However, as you speak about the effort needed, it seems like you
> are not so sure about the demand yourself.

It seems like Barrack is eager to start manufacturing demand where none
existed. Equating purchase of a domain to "investing in one's self" is not
a new tactic but fairly transparent.

 Furthermore, ICANN itself relies on such income in order to survive
> today's declining market demand.

This point cannot be understated:

*ICANN is financially dependent upon the industry it exists to regulate /
oversee.*

This is a very different model from most other regulatory/oversight bodies,
iit poisons every policy decision ICANN makes and naturally leads to the
dominance of the industry's POV to the exclusion of all else. ICANN itself
is financially penalized for acting in the public interest if so doing
reduces domain sales. So what incentive exists to listen to At-Large
(unless it agrees with industry)??

- Evan