[At-Large] [CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Planning for Round Two of New gTLDS is open?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jul 1 15:57:36 UTC 2019

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 at 09:10, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Kaili,
>
> Could you expound on the statement that the new gTLD market is already
> saturated?

How many of the last round of gTLDs are really successful? Have any of them
met the targets anticipated when they applied?

> How did you arrive at this conclusion. We are working hard through
> dnsforum.africa to grow the market in Africa and would be keen on new
> perspectives.

That all depends on what your market and objectives are.

If the goal is to sell as many domains as possible without regard for
consequences to the public and to entities providing goods and services on
the Internet, the field is never saturated and there's always room for more
sales.

If, OTOH, your goal is actually growing the use and prosperity of African
consumers and businesses using the Internet, your perspective is very
different.

- Evan