[At-Large] [CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Planning for Round Two of New gTLDS is open?

Kaili Kan kankaili at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 16:23:06 UTC 2019

Hi, Evan,

Thank you for your comment.

Indeed, another round of new gTLDs is unlikely to serve the public
interest, especially when disregarding the points raised by ALAC and
others.  However, in economics there is a famous theory saying the
"invisible hand beats the visible one".  Thus, as there are powerful
parties pushing for it, which may also considered as some sort of "demand",
our "visible hand" may not be able to stop it.

Nevertheless, there is also a more powerful "invisible hand" which may
teach those parties a lesson.  That is, the lack of demand of the DNS
market place.  I suppose there will be much less speculation this time.
This is because those speculators are likely to worry if they would be able
to sell their inventory to others in today's marketplace.  Furthermore, as
most of the parked registrations came from China last time, while China's
economy is slowing down, there is much less likely that they will have
similar enthusiasm for this time.

Thus, let the rule of economics teach them a lesson, which may be much
better received than ours.

Kaili