[At-Large] Mailing list subscriptions

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Feb 20 16:59:14 UTC 2017

The flurry of un-subscription requests is attributable to two things
happening in close proximity:

1. We have just recently finished compiling and verifying our lists
of ALS primary and secondary representatives. All of those who were
not already subscribed were added to the ALAC-Announce, and their
respective RALO list as well as the At-Large list. They received
"Welcome" messages, but perhaps did not understand why. I believe
that unaffiliated members of the RALOs that have them were also subsribed.

2. A message about Board candidate questions and answers was sent out
to the At-Large, ALAC-Announce and all RALO lists resulting ins some
people receiving three copies. In retrospect, perhaps we should not
have been quite that enthusiastic in which lists it was sent to.

According to the ALAC E-mail Guide
(http://tinyurl.com/ALAC-E-MailGuide-Sept2013), ALS Representative
must be subscribed to the ALAC-Announce list and their RALO list.
At-Large is optional.

All Welcome messages include an unsubscribe link. Due to the
requirement mentioned above, ALS representative should not be able to
unsubscribe from the ALAC-Announce list and their RALO list without
staff approval, but as it happens, that option is not currently set
correctly and if any of these people had tried to unsubscribe, it
would have worked.

In light of the present discussion, the ALAC will be reviewing the
mailing lists and their uses in the near future.

Alan Greenberg
Chair, ALAC