[At-Large] R: R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:03:47 UTC 2016

Sent from my LG G4
Kindly excuse brevity and typos
On 26 Apr 2016 19:36, "Pranesh Prakash" <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:

> My simple point, which you have not refuted, is that a treaty can be a
basis for or can recognize a multistakeholder organization (e.g., the ILO).

SO: Theoretically yes and my response to your point is that the life
span/overall decision on such MS would be based on the treaty which is
formed by govt. I hope you agree that the decision to renew IGF was not
decided by the MS (in practice) but by the UN. Can you then imagine we put
ICANN in such a suspense; that has been "somewhat" happening so far (with
NTIA contract), the transition fixes that. Let's not go back to our vomit!

> At any rate, there have been calls for a long while for changing the
current legal structure of ICANN.  Of course, people on this list are
liable to view these as not "important":

SO: I understand and it may surprise you that I wish it was possible as
well and I am open to hearing ways that it can be done without costing
me/us something else that I/we place higher on my/our priority list.

Regards

> Here are some demands from the civil society caucus (IGC) at WSIS in 2005:
>
>> “ICANN will negotiate an appropriate host country agreement to replace
its California Incorporation, being careful to retain those aspects of its
California Incorporation that enhance its accountability to the global
Internet user community.
>> "ICANN's decisions, and any host country agreement, must be required to
comply with public policy requirements negotiated through international
treaties in regard to, inter alia, human rights treaties, privacy rights,
gender agreements and trade rules. …
>> "It is also expected that the multi-stakeholder community will observe
and comment on the progress made in this process through the proposed
[Internet Governance] Forum."