[At-Large] R: R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sun Apr 10 03:41:32 UTC 2016

Some years ago I made a presentation to a local community planning board
about the .nyc TLD, concluding with a request that the board approve a
resolution recommending that the city move ahead with an acquisition
process.

One the board members commented, "We can't vote on this until we hear
what the Borough President wants us to do." Now the purpose of the
community boards was to provide the Borough President, City Council, and
Mayor with bottom-up guidance on those things of interest - or not - to
local residents. That was their role. That's why the boards existed.

If we look closely into the root governance question, and after due
consideration the At-Large decides that some newfangled treaty
organization should be created, and the recommendation is rejected, or
ignored, or even scoffed at, by the majority, we'll have fulfilled our
duty. Alternately, the At-Large might conclude that it's not an
appropriate approach. Or it might succeed.

That said, I realize that after the Herculean task of dealing with the
IANA  question there might be reluctance to take on another. Especially
one that seems, at first look, to be quite challenging . But I think we
should give a hard look at the merits and then decide if we should take
it on. Let's not make our decisions based on likelihood of success.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt