[At-Large] Fwd: [technical-issues] Banning .xyz email from my company's servers

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Fri Mar 18 19:26:53 UTC 2016

Since we've waded into this and you ask questions...

Spamassassin itself will not drop emails, it only marks them as spam
or not based on the required_score value.

You can use other tools such as procmail (with a cooperating MTA such
as postfix/sendmail/exim/etc) to drop, return, send to an alternate
folder, or put in your INBOX based on the result of spamassassin. Or
your own MUA might have facilities to not show it to you or whatever.

I wouldn't worry much about true spammers readjusting based on the
result, a typical professional spammer sends out about one billion
messages per day.

About the only automated hint some suspect is they might note whether
an address returned unknown user or not since anything but unknown
user indicates the email address is valid even if the message was
rejected. So some choose to set up procmail (typically) scripts which
appear to send back unknown user errors hoping that will drop them
from the spammer's database entirely.

I tend to think that's optimistic (THEY DON'T REALLY CARE!) but why
not try?

If one were trying to block a more targeted source and not a true
"blind" spammer, perhaps just an annoying person who pitches slightly
randomized versions of your domain for sale several times per day,
then perhaps those methods would be effective and get one dropped from
their database.

The real tragedy of spam is the human time wasted over it.

--
        -Barry Shein