[At-Large] [ALAC] Fwd: A million domains taken down by email checks

Lianna Galstyan lianna at magic.am
Mon Jul 7 09:17:14 UTC 2014

This is so true! As a registrar in ccTLD I faced so many suchlike cases
when a webcompany register the domain in their name and then disappear. Or
a registrant provides a bogus email address not to be targeted by
spammers.

In the first case it's necessary to improve the registrants' literacy. As
Holly told, here the resellers, registrars, even ALSs, the Internet
Societies can have their contribution. This is the matter of education.

In the second situation the registrars can give an option for  registrants
to hide the contact email address from public view yet keep the up-to-date
email address for notifications by them [registrar]. Some percentage of
those registrants who feel unprotected could provide correct email address
if they know that it won't be available publicly.

Lianna