[At-Large] [ALAC] Fwd: A million domains taken down by email checks

John Levine john.levine at cauce.org
Fri Jul 4 17:41:58 UTC 2014

> I have no idea what ALAC cares about.

Um, someone using your address just said it was the handful registrants
with bogus e-mail addresses.

> John, your point is an aunt sally. The fact remains that abuse happens
> with or without a domain name. Cyber bullying is not something
> associated particularly with the ownership or control of a DNS record
> for instance.

You know, I deal daily with actual researchers and law enforcement who
deal with actual crime and abuse, and they use WHOIS information,
including the e-mail address all the time.  Cyber bullying is one issue
they sometimes deal with, and they certainly contact the operators of the
domains the bullies ues.

Your argument appears to be that if a measure isn't 100% effective at
stopping abuse, or if it has any side effects at all (keeping in mind that
99.6% of domains are not affected by this issue), we shouldn't bother.
If that's not it, please clarify.

Regards,
John Levine, john.levine at cauce.org
CAUCE North America