[At-Large] [ALAC] Fwd: A million domains taken down by email checks

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Fri Jul 4 17:16:04 UTC 2014

I have no idea what ALAC cares about.

John, your point is an aunt sally. The fact remains that abuse happens
with or without a domain name. Cyber bullying is not something
associated particularly with the ownership or control of a DNS record
for instance.

The list goes on and on.

It would actually be far better if we the Internet communities managed
to entice more of those 99 whatever percent of people who use Internet
in one form or another to participate more fully and move from being
consumers to real participants. I won't go so far as to say having a
domain of your own is necessary for that but it is a useful step for
many along that road.

The trouble is that the bureaucracy and costs and general mayhem around
using a name on the Internet is a significant barrier to entry to fuller
participation. That is the barrier that needs to be addressed.

The cost of domain names you mention is one of those barriers. A cost to
Internet users that is far in excess of cost of maintaining a record in
a database.