[At-Large] R: Implementing WHOIS Requirements per RAA 2013

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 00:13:21 UTC 2013

I can provide one point for thoughts, that ALAC might think to include in
the feedback.
During the presentation, and in the text of the report, there is a
description of how to design access to data in a way that it will be
dependent on the rights the accessing entity has.
However, there is one entity that might gain full access to all data, and
this is the government of the country where the database will be physically
located.
I had a chat with Michele on this, and he assured me that this is one point
that came already out, and will be discussed to find an acceptable solution.
I have no clue about the dynamics of the WG, I am sure, knowing Carlton,
that our points have been expressed loudly, but maybe a little help from an
official ALAC statement can help.
Let's put it this way: other constituencies and stakeholder groups will not
be shy in making statements that will push further their opinion and needs,
beyond what was the acceptable consensus of the WG: why should ALAC avoid
providing feedback? Michele is absolutely right when he calls for further
input, he knows some will speak up anyway, it is fair if all do.
Elaborating on the localization of the database, that we know is an issue,
is there something we can suggest? We do not need to provide the technical
solution, but can we spell out the requirements for making sure that no
specific entity will be more equal than others?
Cheers,
Roberto