[At-Large] R: FW: Withdraw the gun database

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Jan 22 22:27:21 UTC 2013

On 01/22/2013 02:18 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> I might accept that, but as a pre-requisite registrants must also warrant
> the accuracy of their data, including beneficiary rights in case _they_
> violate etc etc etc.
>
> What's good for one side is good for the other. If a WHOIS searcher is
> going to be expected to offer such disclosure (and exposure), they have a
> reasonable expectation that the result of that will not be futile.

There are already a mountain of accuracy obligations imposed by ICANN
onto registrants - with the penalty being loss of a domain name, not to
mention the UDRP and rapid takedown, or the "don't be bad' provisions in
most registrar agreements - there is no need to add more.

Third party beneficiary rights have long been absent from the world of
ICANN.

ICANN has long had a phobia of third party beneficiary rights.

Yet we saw what can happen when they are not present in the registerfly
situation when ICANN sat on its hands and let everything crumble.

	--karl--