[At-Large] R: FW: Withdraw the gun database

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Jan 22 22:06:42 UTC 2013

On 01/22/2013 01:53 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> While I'm arguing that WHOIS data should be accurate and available, I do
> not see registration and ToS acceptance as being an unreasonable barrier to
> access.

Terms of service should always obligate the person making the inquiry to
several things, including accuracy of any identifications presented or
assertions made.  And just as important the TOS must give third party
beneficiary rights to the registrant to enforce those obligations,
including the right to obtain attorney fees and costs of such enforcement.

(I might also mention that recent events have indicated that violation
of terms of service, at least here in the US, can, if a prosecutor so
decides, constitute a Federal crime with some rather severe prison-time
penalties.)

	--karl--