[At-Large] R: GNSO Council

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:36:29 UTC 2012

Just as a funny note on a serious issue - if you go to the transcript of the
decision Jonathan Robinson - Chair - is reported to have said: "So I think
that's the poison that we have to take", while he (obviously) said " So I
think that's the position that we have to take", as can be clearly heard on
the MP3.

The question is how we do get out of this problem. The GNSO Council will
reconvene in December, a vote by the Board is expected in January.
Is there any way we can come to a position on the Council that will not
result in a vote count and a motion passing by one vote?
While this matter is on the capable hands of the GNSO Council, we have to be
aware that at the end of the day it will end up upon the Board, who needs to
rule either by giving the exception to IOC/RC that the GAC wants or to give
a rock solid argument for not to.
My question is, can ALAC propose a compromise position? Can we work, for
instance, on these points:
- a PDP will have to be set, which honors the principle that policy is made
bottom-up and not by lobbying the Board
- while the PDP is running business is run as usual, i.e. no block on
registrations will be in effect, knowing that the result of the PDP might
result in cancellation of the registrations (if any have become effective in
the meantime), which honors the principle that you cannot change the status
quo while the decision process is running
This is very much what Volker Greimann (Registrar Stakeholder Group) is
proposing, so it might not be just an isolated voice. Alan has participated
to the Council discussions, so he might bring more light to the issue.

R.