[At-Large] Proposed ALAC statement on reserved names for the IOC and Red Cross

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Mar 4 22:15:58 UTC 2012

On 03/04/2012 12:14 PM, Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

> I would agree with ALAC's opinion on Red Cross and International Olymic
> Commitee "we see no substantial reason to afford to the Red Cross and
> the Olympic movement protections not available to other rights holders",

I also agree with this point of view.  In my mind there might be some
argument that the Red Cross (and the Red Crescent) deserve recognition
for a long history of good works.  (I can't quite same the same about
the Olympic Committee - particularly the US incarnation.)

But the larger issue is who are we to decide who is the more worthy.
Some might claim that PETA (whether it be the "ethical treatment" or
"tasty animals" claimant) is worthy of the lofty position from which one
gets to reserve or withhold a top level name?

My own point of view is that ICANN has made it so hard and expensive to
obtain a TLD that such are now reserved only to the rich and well
established - which is often the converse of those who have dedicated
their resources to the public good - For instance, could M. Gandhi have
passed ICANN muster and paid the fees?

However, as Jeff N. pointed out, there is the separate issue of process.
 Is it rather late in the TLD game for these issues to be raised?

	--karl--