[At-Large] Proposed ALAC statement on reserved names for the IOC and Red Cross

Elisabeth Porteneuve elisabeth.porteneuve at latmos.ipsl.fr
Sun Mar 4 20:14:37 UTC 2012

Greeting,

I would agree with ALAC's opinion on Red Cross and International Olymic
Commitee "we see no substantial reason to afford to the Red Cross and
the Olympic movement protections not available to other rights holders",
provided ICANN itself did not made the first reserved list of its 34
names (of which only two are technical).

It is very complicated and costly to protect any name in gTLD space.
While the trademark owners may use related laws to protect their names,
the issue is by order of magnitude more complicated for organizations.

I would appreciate to see ICANN defending the name of "IANA". It's not
an international treaty organization, just a name under .org, shared
acronym. The same for applies for "IETF", "INTERNIC", etc. You cannot
prevent anybody from the street to apply for those names. The similar is
true for many organizations.

Understand me well - I have a great respect for all that names as for
the history in the making in the Internet, and do not want to harm them.
Why there is no means to make reserved list for organizations?
Making defensive registrations is costly ($US 185,000 & more), and
simply an overkill to protect an organization name.

Why ICANN is putting itself above the other rights holders?

Where is “the public interest” in creating instability for many
organizations?

Kind regards,
Elisabeth Porteneuve

==