[At-Large] Protection of IOC/Red Cross Names at Top Level

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Feb 2 17:07:35 UTC 2012

Hi Michele,

Personally I'd prefer *no* exceptions, confident that conventional TLD
objection procedures would prevent any red-cross-related application to
come from anyone but the IFRC in Geneva or its authorized agents. I'd even
support the ALAC public-interest objection process used for this, and would
have no hesitation initiation the objection process myself in such a case.

But the GAC seems hell-bent on having some kind of exception(s).

IIRC, the Red Cross is considered an exceptional institution. I was told by
people I trust that there was no concept of a non-profit corporation in
Japan before the Red Cross tried to establish, and there was a specific
vote in the Diet to allow it. So such exceptionalism is not without
precedent.

(And happy birthday, BTW!)

- Evan