[At-Large] What ALAC said about new gTLDs in 2003

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Thu Mar 31 08:06:34 UTC 2011

and the 2004 to date experience has shown that expansion predicated on a registry sponsor model is not workable in the context of the assumption that a domain name = trademark. The IPR issue blocks DNS name expansion. All we are seeing is the same old names in new tld's.  Not a helpful situation when naming resources are needed to support billions of new users and devices in an IPv6 scale Internet.

Potential for a significant crisis is defined.

Christian