[At-Large] ITU versus ICANN

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Oct 10 04:21:53 UTC 2010

On 10/09/2010 08:55 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:

> As I mentioned several times in the past, it is a shame that ICANN is
> a member-less organization, since changes to its articles of
> incorporation and bylaws would require the vote of its members...

Yes - for details of those rights see
http://www.cavebear.com/archive/icann-board/platform.htm#full-members

ICANN actively and quite overtly pursed a course to try to evade being
classified as a "membership" flavor of a California public-benefit
corporation.  Because elections trigger that status ICANN called the
election of year 2000 a "selection".   Shakespeare said that a rose by
any other name is still a rose.  I guess ICANN doesn't read Shakespeare.

ICANN was, and I assume still is, in deadly fear of "derivative
actions", a form of legal action in which members can cause the
corporation to sue itself for failures to behave correctly.

The concept of "accountability" involves the question of "to whom is
that duty of accountability owed?".

A secondary question then is "how do those to whom that duty owed
enforce that duty?"

These are good questions to ask.

	--karl--