[At-Large] ITU versus ICANN

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 03:55:41 UTC 2010

Most of the issues related to Internet governance discussed and
promoted via IGF and ITU, IMHO are hyperbolic attempts to grasp a
little bit of control of something that does not require global
control rather than coordination and collaboration on different
planes.

I see ITU's maneuvers as desperate attempts to be once again in
control and more relevant in the standards development arena and
common resources allocation and administration such as addressing and
name spaces, enforcing the mandate of member states in policy
development processes, screwing up multi-stake holder and bottom up
approaches.

As others noted, unless there is a substantial modification in the way
ICANN has been incorporated, there is not much the ITU can do to have
veto power over BoD decisions.

As I mentioned several times in the past, it is a shame that ICANN is
a member-less organization, since changes to its articles of
incorporation and bylaws would require the vote of its members, ie the
community, ie us. Right now the community has almost no control
whatsoever on that plane, and the several attempts like the ATRT,
supposed increased transparency (as Kieren recently noted on his blog
where are the BoD papers/briefings for the last meeting?), the never
ending dancing chairs game to take a spot on the titles of nobility
distribution game, etc, etc, are borderline close to a joke.

I believe we should take in account what is going on around, but as
Franck said, ignore all the noise and keep focus and a steady effort
to make ICANN right, we are far far far away for that to be true.

My .02
Jorge