[At-Large] Libya terminating unacceptable .ly domains

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Oct 8 07:10:38 UTC 2010

On 8 October 2010 02:48, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Will Internet be Internet if Muslim countries ban sites with porn content,
> Hindu countries ban sites that have anything to do with beef or veal, Jewish
> countries ban sites with pictures of fish without scales and  Christian
> nations ban sites from every other religion ?

You speak as if this hasn't already started.

There are many countries in the mideast that already have a blanket ban on
the ".il" TLD, regardless of content.

The censorship of major second-level domains in China is well known --
whether the motivation is religious or political is irrelevant to me, as (in
my personal opinion) in this context religion *is* politics. And even the
bastion of freedom is making its own censorship
plans<http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5334/135/>
.

> The network of networks wouldn't be Internet if it becomes a network of
> national networks.  ccTLDs, National Internet Exchanges and IDN TLDs are
> the
> greatest threats to Internet.

Then we must allow hundreds of gTLDs to blossom in their place :-)

- Evan