[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Aug 30 23:25:09 UTC 2010

On 31/08/2010 00:18, Karl Auerbach wrote :

(about the Nominating Committee, which I agree is inaptly named)

> Like most such committees the choices are compromises made by people who
> obtained their seats on the committee largely because they are
> status-quo oriented in the first place - thus a tendency for like to
> "nominate" like.

I can't speak for other years, but that has not been my experience this
year, Karl.
Perhaps the committee, like ALAC, is maturing with time, and gaining
confidence?

> The community of internet users, like most bodies of natural people,
> ought to have the power to chose who it wishes, even if those people are
> of the nature that would cause a nominating committee to choke.
>
> ICANN's system - including the nominating committee - was designed with
> the specific intent of keeping out the noisy riff-raff who might
> question the status quo - people like me.

...and unless people who would cause a nominating committee to choke
don't apply, they stand no chance of being selected. Sometimes, you need
to have more faith in a system than it appears at first glance.
We're all playing for the same side - the "enemy" is elsewhere.

Kindest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD