[At-Large] ICANN Board Nomination

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 23:22:09 UTC 2010

Karl:
I always find your posts thought-provoking and want to hone in on your
assertion that if allocated a role with merit and strength in ICANN, there
would be an overflow of participation.   Maybe you're right.

Evan outlined how dispiriting it is when those of us in At-Large - for
better or worse still a part of the deserving public - take ICANN at its
word, get involved and make meritorious suggestions after studying the
issues that are blithely ignored. Yes, we work.

I guess the fissure is a common understanding, if not perception. of what
"public" means.

You speak of the pre-2000 "public" with some nostalgia and implied it was a
time of great hubba-hubba in public participation.

Mind you, a lot of us who are now involved were probably not counted as part
of the deserving public then.

I daresay a lot less of us.  Especially those of us at the edge of empire.

Kind regards.

Carlton