[APAC-Discuss] For Feedback: Report on Strategic Changes to Future ICANN Public Meetings

Satish Babu sb at inapp.com
Tue Dec 8 05:56:56 UTC 2020

Dear APRALO Community

Given the upheavals to its public meetings on account of the global
pandemic, ICANN has been considering changes to its public meetings
strategy.

To obtain community feedback, ICANN organized community-wide consultations
through a session at ICANN69 and a community survey. The results of this
consultative process have been published as a report (attached).

Some of the main recommendations of the report include:

   - Continue the three-meeting schedule annually but increase concentrated
   time for cross-community policy work.
   - Reduce session overlap and conflicts to allow more opportunity for
   community-wide participation.
   - Determine goals and overall meeting objectives early in the planning
   process to facilitate more effective engagement and progress during the
   meetings.
   - Increase time for networking and develop better tools to support
   networking opportunities during virtual meetings.
   - Increase visual/video/graphic elements and encourage use of video
   cameras by all participants.
   - Add trained session facilitators.
   - When virtual, reduce the meeting length (fewer days/fewer hours per
   day) to prevent volunteer burnout.
   - Rotate the time zone for meetings among ICANN’s five geographic
   regions.

If you have any comments, questions or concerns about the recommendations
of this report, pls raise them on this list or by mail to me. Since we have
to provide our feedback by 18 Dec 2020, pls do provide your inputs latest
by 17 Dec 2020.

With kind regards

satish