[APAC-Discuss] Individual Member Discussion

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:53:44 UTC 2015

Dear APRALO members

https://community.icann.org/display/APRALO/APRALO+Rules+of+Procedures+Review+2015-+Individual+membership

On the workspace whose link is above, I have summarised some of the
face-to-face discussion we had today at our monthly meeting, plus some
comments that were already on the workspace about INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP.

Before we move on to a formal set of criteria if would be good to get a
sense of others' views on the following points:

   - should we expect individuals to prove that they are not affiliated
   with any ICANN or ALS related organisations - if so how would they do this?
   - what evidence should the provide to show that they are actually
   working on end-user activities and are aware of what ICANN is and does
   - should we impose timeframed membership for all ALSes as well as
   individual members - it would make it easier to get rid of the deadwood as
   Satish suggests?
   - should we impose a similar set of metrics for individual members as we
   do for ALSes?
   - What is an optimum sized package for an individual members ALS?
   - what process should we expect for them to vote for their
   representative of their ALS-type organisation?
   - should we be encouraging individual membership or encouraging ALSes?
   - Should we make it harder to be an individual member so that we can
   encourage more ALSes (to enable outreach from a common governance or
   technical starting point?)

I would really appreciate your comments

Maureen