[APAC-Discuss] APRALO news

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 02:42:33 UTC 2012

Dear Holly,

As requested, an update on IDNs from Toronto onwards (this update applies
till end of December 2012):

*IDN Variant TLD Program
*

The ICANN IDN Variant TLD Program is tasked with exploring the issues
associated with the potential inclusion of IDN variant TLDs in the DNS root
zone.

In Toronto, work in progress on 2 projects were presented by the ICANN IDN
Variant TLD Program Team:

(1)  Label Generation Ruleset Process for the Root - The development of a *
proc**edure* to develop and maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root
Zone.

(2)  User Experience with active Variants - The study of possible user
experience implications of activating two or more IDN variant TLDs.

*At-Large Responses to the Projects:*

(1) The At-Large IDN Working Group meeting in Toronto focused on issues
surrounding a preliminary report on the ***Label Generation Rule**set
Process for the Root*.  Based on the discussion, a written response has
been drafted (see
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=36212771), which
will be voted upon by the ALAC and targeted for submission on 27 November
2012.  3 areas of concern were highlighted in the response: (a) Lack of
policy expertise specified for the proposed panels that will help balance
the need for strict security and stability conservativeness versus the
support needed for acceptable IDN implementation from the users' point of
view; (b)
Lack of expressed accountability and review of process; and (c)
Insufficient explanation of how the specific process fits into the wider
processes regarding new gTLD and IDN ccTLD.

(2) A draft response to the "Interim Report Examining the User Experience
Implications of Active Variant TLDs" is currently being developed for
discussion with the At-Large IDN Working Group prior to ALAC consultation
and vote.  When ready the draft will be posted here:
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=37193862.

*IDN Country Code Policy Development*

On 10 November 2012, the ALAC response to the draft IDN ccTLD String
Selection Criteria, Requirements and Processes for countries, territories
and special areas of geographic interests listed in ISO 3166-1 was
submitted to the ccNSO.  The ALAC statement highlighted the following: a)
applicability of the Root Zone Label Generation Rules to IDN ccTLDs; b)
confusing similarity assessment based on the perspective of the local IDN
user; c) dispute resolution facilitation via provision of informational
materials and case studies on best practices for the local actors to
consider in their dispute resolution process or encouragement on the use of
any neutral dispute resolution facility for IDN ccTLD string contention;
and d) consideration of the needs of cross-border language communities in
determining language jurisdiction.

END
Best regards,

Rinalia