[ALAC] Summary Report for GNSO Council 16 May 2024 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Fri May 17 08:24:19 UTC 2024

Dear all,

Here is my report of the GNSO Council's 16 May 2024 meeting.

Council discussed some issues at length, but the most important decision
for us is their resolution to request for an Issues Report for Diacritics
in Latin Script and the direction to GNSO staff to create the Report.

There were also a couple of amendments to the agenda
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2024-Agenda_May2024>
under AOB but I have concentrated on what I think are the key matters of
interest to us. You can also read this report posted at the ALAC Liaison to
the GNSO workspace <https://community.icann.org/x/mQK7Cg>, or simply using
the links included below to navigate to the May 2024 entry.

*Special Summary Report of 16 May 2024 Meeting to ALAC
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2024-SumRep_May2024>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council May 2024
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2024-MOI_May2024>
and/or
from GNSO Council May 2024 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2024-Meet_May2024>
.

*1. Consent Agenda*

   - Council resolved
   <https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions/2020-current#202405> to
   adopt the revised Description of the role of GNSO Liaison to the
   Governmental Advisory Committee
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2024/draft/final-gnso-liaison-to-gac-16may24-en.pdf>
   .
   - Council resolved
   <https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions/2020-current#202405> to
   approved the ICANN Board’s Proposed Amendment to remove the phrase “from
   the Independent Project Applications Panel” from the Cross-Community
   Working Group on Auction Proceeds Recommendation 7.

*2. Diacritics in Latin Script*

   - The issue of diacritics in Latin script is not a new one. It first
   originated, resulting from the 2012 Round, when the registry operator for
   .Quebec opted to apply for the non-diacritic .quebec label in favour of the
   label with diacritic “.québec”, but they did not pursue any "formal"
   remedy to the challenge of also obtaining the “.québec” TLD until more
   recently, when 4 public comments were submitted in response to the GNSO
   Call for Public Comments to the Phase 1 Initial Report of the IDNs EPDP
   <https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/phase-1-initial-report-on-the-internationalized-domain-names-epdp-24-04-2023>
in
   Apr 2023.
   - In Jul 2023, GNSO Leadership received a communication
   <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-epdp-idn-team/2023-August/001073.html>
from
   the IDNs-EPDP Chair regarding 4 public comments related to creating an
   exceptional process by which the existing registry operator for .quebec
   could apply “.québec” in a future gTLD round ("the .québec issue") being
   out of scope of the IDNs-EPDP and its Charter, and referred the comments to
   the GNSO Council for consideration and action as determined appropriate.
   - On 17 Aug 2023, GNSO Leadership circulated the 22 Jun 2023 letter
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/correspondence/zuck-to-ducos-22jun23-en.pdf>
from
   ALAC Chair to the GNSO Chair regarding the Latin script LGR and .québec
   issue.
   - On 24 Aug 2023, Council discussed this issue and, the then GNSO Chair
   essentially concluded that the issue of .quebec (TLD) not being a variant
   of “.québec” did not require an immediate resolution and one that did not
   squarely sit in the remit of the IDNs-EPDP.
   - On 23 Sep 2023, the then Council Chair again addressed the issue of
   accents and diacritics in Latin languages that could be deemed confusingly
   similar to existing strings or other applications, and suggested chartering
   something with a narrow scope to ensure that this topic does not slide
   elsewhere into the string similarity discussion and ensure that solutions
   are found that match requirements imposed on variants.  ICANN org staff
   clarified that next steps from the staff perspective would be for Council
   to request an Issues Report.
   -

   On 25 Oct 2023, Council received a detailed briefing on this issue and
   agreed to request a study from ICANN org to help inform the GNSO Council on
   the issue of diacritics in Latin Script. Prior to the request being made to
   ICANN org, the org volunteered to investigate what mechanism or mechanisms
   might be appropriate to address this issue. Since then, Council had for
   several months deferred discussing a way forward to address the issue as
   GNSO support staff had indicated that a proposal for a solution was being
   worked on which might alleviate the need for a study request which Council
   had been mooting earlier.
   - The issue finally returned to Council's agenda in Apr 2024, where
   after much discussion, Council concluded that GNSO support staff's
   suggested way forward was neither feasible nor desirable (see my Apr
   2024 report
   <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Apr2024-SumRep_Apr2024>),
   and as a result, Council reinforced its agreement
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2024/minutes/minutes-gnso-council-18apr24-en.pdf>
   request an Issue Report on diacritics in Latin script. Since this could
   only be actioned through a Council resolution, it was agreed that Council
   would vote on such a motion in its May 2024 meeting.
   - Hence at this meeting, Council resolved
   <https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions/2020-current#202405> to
   adopt the request for an an Issues Report, and directs staff to create the
   Report.

*3**. IPC's Request for Reconsideration (RfR) on the Board's Proposed
Bylaws Updates to Limit Access to Accountability Mechanisms*

   - This is regarding the Board Accountability Mechanisms Committee's
   (BAMC) dismissal of IPC's RfR on the basis that IPC was not a party harmed
   by the Board's Proposed Bylaws Updates to Limit Access to Accountability
   Mechanisms
   <https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-bylaws-updates-to-limit-access-to-accountability-mechanisms-27-02-2024>
   .
   - NOTE: While the GNSO Council did not support
   <https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-bylaws-updates-to-limit-access-to-accountability-mechanisms-27-02-2024/submissions/gnso-council-15-04-2024>
the
   Board's proposal but the ALAC did
   <https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-bylaws-updates-to-limit-access-to-accountability-mechanisms-27-02-2024/submissions/policy-staff-in-support-of-the-at-large-community-at-large-advisory-committee-alac-11-04-2024>,
   the issue being contended here, is the principle that an ICANN community
   group can be found to have no standing (i.e. has been unable to show harm
   suffered) for something that has yet to be implemented.
   - Council discussed possible next steps to counter the BAMC dismissal,
   noting that the gravity and implications of grounds for this dismissal,
   including the possibility of involving other members of the ICANN Community
   in next steps.

*4. Deferral of Policy Status Report Request - Expiration Policies*

   - Council previously considered when to request a Policy Status Report
   (“PSR”) for the purpose of conducting a review of the two Expiration
   Policies, the Expired Domain Name Deletion Policy (“EDDP”) and the Expired
   Registration Recovery Policy (“ERRP”). In November 2020, given concerns
   about its capacity and no known issues with the policies, the Council
   agreed to delay the request for the Policy Status Report (PSR) for a period
   of 24 months. After 24 months had passed, the Council reconsidered whether
   it was an appropriate time to request a PSR.
   - In July 2022, Council agreed that it would be helpful to consult with
   both registrars and ICANN org to help determine if there are any known
   issues or concerns with either of the two Expiration Policies which could
   warrant requesting a PSR.
   -

   In making its decision whether to request to a PSR at this time, Council
   consulted:
   1. Registrars, who were asked to flag substantial issues with the
      policies that would warrant a near-term request for PSR and did not note
      any issues
      2. ICANN Compliance, who provided a write-up
      <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2022-November/026164.html>,
noting
      confusion with key terms in the policy and persistent registrant
confusion
      with the auto-renew grace period and aftermarket activities, et al.
      3. ICANN org Registrant Program, which provided a catalog of the
      available educational resources on domain name expiration and renewal
      (Brian Gutterman’s update at Council)
   - Council then determined that the EDDP and ERRP seem to have been
   implemented as intended and imminent policy work is not needed at this
   time, and so, considered to pursue a PSR on the Expiration Policies in two
   years' time, or earlier, if a need is determined and it is requested.
   - Primarily at an IPC Councilor's request, this decision for a deferral
   of the PSR was deferred yet again, to Council's Jun 2024 meeting. IPC's
   belief that the request for a PSR should proceed now since it would take
   some time for it to be actioned by ICANN org staff, and IPC wanted a bit
   more time to shore up its representation on this issue.  There was no
   objection to deferring the vote to Council's next meeting.

Thanks for reading / considering.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO
GNSO Liaison Report Workspace