[ALAC] The SSAC has published SAC123 and SAC122

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Dec 21 09:11:53 UTC 2023

On 21/12/2023 06:31, Matthias M. Hudobnik via ALAC wrote:

> *### SSAC Report on the Evolution of Internet Name Resolution (SAC123):*
>
> ·

[...]

> In summary, domain names are no longer the primary method end users
> employ to find and access Internet resources, decreasing their
> visibility and understandability while introducing security issues.

Is this a "told you so" moment from ALAC? :-)
One of the questions it opens for ICANN in the long run, is a question
that's already been asked, that has already been pushed under the carpet
many times because it is divisive, and yet is existential for ICANN:
"should ICANN take a policy development role in these other name
resolution environments?"
Over years, I have seen several of my friends end up losing their job
because the products they were experts in ended up being obsolete and
their last jobs were to help new developers transition technologies away
from their own expertise. If the concept of a domain name becomes
obsolete, is ICANN going to become obsolete?

Kindest regards,

Olivier