[ALAC] Summary Report for GNSO Council 24 Aug 2023 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 03:33:02 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Here is my summary report of the GNSO Council's 24 Aug 2023 meeting, albeit
a pretty long summary. You can also read this report posted at the ALAC
Liaison to the GNSO workspace, or using the links included below.

*Special Summary Report of 24 Aug 2023 Meeting to ALAC
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Aug2023-SumRep_Aug2023>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Aug 2023
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Aug2023-MOI_Aug2023>
and/or
from GNSO Council Aug 2023 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Aug2023-Meet_Aug2023>
.

*1. Consent Agenda Item - 2023 Customer Standing Committee (CSC)*

   - Council approved the slate of 2023 CSC Members and Liaison, which
   include the liaison and alternate appointed by ALAC, *Holly Raiche*
and *Ejikeme
   Egbuogu*, respectively, for the 2023 - 2025 term.

*2. Next Round of New gTLDs / Subsequent Procedures 38 Pending
Recommendations & "Other Dependencies"*

       *a. The 38 Pending Recommendations*

   - Since after ICANN77, the GNSO Council Small Team on SubPro has
   continued to work with the Board SubPro Caucus co-leads, Avri Doria and
   Becky Burr, in developing the Council's 2 next sub-deliverables in respect
   of the 38 Pending Recommendations. This involves bifurcating the 38
   recommendations into 2 broad groups:

   -
      - *Group (1)* covers Recommendations on the following SubPro Topics
      which were assessed and are understood to merely require clarifying
      statements by Council for the Board's consideration in context of the
      Board's concerns, in order to facilitate adoption by the Board.
      - Due to a late request by the ICANN Board for more time as "*[t]he
      Board would like to propose a small tweak to the language* [in the
      clarifying statements for Recommendations 9.1, 9.4, 9.8, 9.9, 9.10, 9.12,
      9.13, 30.1, 31.16 and 31.17 (all regarding the enforceability of PICs and
      RVCs) *to ensure that it is crystal clear*", the recommendations
      where there is an expectation that the GNSO Council can resolve the ICANN
      Board concerns via a Clarifying Statement was amended to cover:
         - Topic 3: Applications Assessed in Rounds - Recommendations
         3.1,3.2, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7
         - Topic 6: Registry Service Provider Pre-Evaluation -
         Recommendation 6.8
         - Topic 9: Registry Voluntary Commitments / Public Interest
         Commitments - Recommendations 9.1, 9.4, 9.8, 9.9, 9.10, 9.12, 9.13,
          9.15
         - Topic 26: Security and Stability - Recommendation 26.9
         - Topic 29: Name Collision - Recommendation 29.1
         - Topic 30: GAC Consensus Advice and GAC Early Warning -
         Recommendation 30.7
         - Topic 31: Objections - Recommendations 31.16, 31.17
         - Topic 34: Community Applications - Recommendation 34.12
         - Topic 35: Auctions - Recommendations 35.3, 35.5
      - The resulting Clarifying Statement as at 23 Aug which was adopted
      by Council  for Group (1) recommendations is found at this link
      <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/draft/draft-subpro-pending-recommendations-clean-23aug23-en.pdf>
      .

*Action by ALAC Liaison*

   -
      -
         - To continue participating in Small Team to ensure clarifying
         statement captures existing ALAC positions, as relevant/needed.

   -
      - *Group (2)* covers the remaining pending recommendations for which
      the Council Small Team will continue to work on in light of the clear
      signal by the Board SubPro Caucus co-leads that the Board will very
      likely decline to adopt as they currently read. The Small Team's scope of
      work here includes considering whether such recommendations should be
      revised, and if so, how - either through the 'GNSO Operating Procedures
      section 16' path (which would involve reconvening the SubPro PDP WG), or
      through a 'Supplemental Recommendation' path for which Council
will need to
      determine the mechanism to produce such supplemental recommendation.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*To continue participating in Small Team to ensure
clarifying statement captures existing ALAC positions, as relevant/needed,
or to advocate for the inclusion of input outside of GNSO where Council
opts for the 'Supplemental Recommendation' path.

*c. Closed Generics Framework*

   -
      - Council received a substantive update on the status of the Closed
      Generics Framework produced by the GAC-GNSO-ALAC Dialogue small
team, post
      a review of community comments received in response to the request
      for comments on the Draft Closed Generics Framework
      <https://community.icann.org/x/Io6ZDg> which closed on 15 Jul 2023.
      - The Chairs of the GAC, GNSO and ALAC convened to discuss what
      should happen with this Closed Generics Framework, namely
whether there was
      sufficient community consensus for it to move to a GNSO policy
development
      process. They concluded there was not and that there was not sufficient
      demand to take it further through a policy process. As a result, the GNSO
      Chair, GAC Chair, and ALAC Chair plan to send a separate communication to
      the ICANN Board that reflects the decision they took and, as
stated in the
      letter, expressing the collective view that:
         -

         (1) closed generic gTLDs should not be viewed as a dependency for
         the next round;
         -

         (2) until there is community-developed policy, the Board should
         maintain the position from the 2012 round (i.e., any
applications seeking
         to impose exclusive registry access for "generic strings" to a single
         person or entity and/or that person's or entity's Affiliates
(as defined in
         Section 2.9(c) of the Registry Agreement) should not proceed; and
         -

         (3) should the community decide in the future to resume the policy
         discussions, this should be based on the good work that has
been done to
         date in the facilitated dialogue.
         - This outcome was pre-empted by ALAC Chair Jonathan Zuck at the
      CPWG call on 9 August.

*3. Next Round of New gTLDs - Standing Predictability Implementation Review
Team (SPIRT)*

   - In its Final Report
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/final-report-newgtld-subsequent-procedures-pdp-02feb21-en.pdf>,
   the Subsequent Procedures Working Group recommended “the formation of a
   Standing Predictability Implementation Review Team (‘SPIRT’) (Pronounced
   ‘spirit’) to serve as the body responsible for reviewing potential issues
   related to the Program, to conduct analysis utilizing the framework, and to
   recommend the process/mechanism that should be followed to address the
   issue (i.e., utilize the Predictability Framework). The GNSO Council shall
   be responsible for oversight of the SPIRT and may review all
   recommendations of the SPIRT in accordance with the procedures outlined in
   the GNSO Operating Procedures and Annexes thereto.”
   - Council discussed the task of chartering (not constituting) the SPIRT
   and concluded that it would be useful to set up a chartering team to
   include participation from the At-Large/ALAC, GAC and other parts of the
   community.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*To alert the ALAC on timing of the call to form the
SPIRT chartering team, in due course.

*4. Discussion Paper on .Quebec *

   - The GNSO Chair led the commentary on this issue which essentially
   concluded that the issue of .quebec (TLD) not being a variant of “.québec”
   did not require an immediate resolution and one that did not squarely sit
   in the remit of the Expedited Policy Development Process on
   Internationalized Domain Names (EPDP on IDNs).

*5. GNSO Council Committee for Overseeing and Implementing Continuous
Improvement (CCOICI) Recommendations Report on Review of the Statement of
Interest (SOI) Requirements *

   - Council received an overview
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/presentation/presentation-ccoici-recommendations-report-24aug23-en.pdf>
of
   the CCOICI Recommendations Report
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/correspondence/chen-to-gnso-council-14aug23-en.pdf>on
   the SOI Requirements which concluded that no consensus was reached on the
   ability to exempt participants from declaring in their GNSO SOI who they
   represented whenever they participated in a PDP in case of professional
   ethical obligations preventing complications
   - Although it was recommended that the GNSO SOI format be updated to
   form two parts (see below), *the existing SOI language in relation to
   exemption is to remain as is.*
   - a) General Statement of Interest which contains general information
      about a participant (parent).
      - b) Activity Specific Statement of Interest which contains
      information that is provided specific to the activity, for example,
      motivation for participation (child)

Thanks for reading / considering.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO