[ALAC] Fwd: [ICANN Community Leaders] 30 April 2020

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri May 1 14:26:40 UTC 2020

Dear Justine,

thanks for your follow-up. My feeling, and it is just a feeling, is that
there is a real interest in the At-Large Community to focus on the topic
of the Public Interest. However, having looked for an alternative Chair
for so many years, I feel that many think it is such a daunting task to
push the boat forward in this topic, that nobody has stood up to
volunteer to Chair it. I agree that this is a tough task due to the
complexity of the topic itself and the outright strong political
pushback experienced from other parts of the ICANN ecosystem. Even
Ergys, a very dynamic star staff member, has faced difficulties to steer
the ICANN wide workspace. You just have to see the political storm
raised by the PIR sale to understand chairing a WG on the Public
interest is not plain sailing in calm seas.
But then - does anyone out there think they have the Drive to make this
group successful, the political acumen to navigate a complex environment
and the skin thick enough to take sharp criticism?
Kindest regards,

Olivier