[ALAC] ACTION/ALAC by Friday, 31 July 17 UTC: ALAC Statement on Enhancing the Effectiveness of ICANN’s Multistakeholder Model – Next Steps

Javier Rua javrua at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 15:38:02 UTC 2020

Hello to all. IMHO, an aspect that seems absent from this discussion is the possibility of professional facilitation in thorny issues, to the extent compatible with MSM.

This idea might go a bit against the grain in terms of community self-governance which cannot be underestimated, but there are profesional entities out there that are experts in getting diverse and even enemy groups to sit down and negotiate (from peace / reconciliation agreements among guerrillas and states, to more run of the mill, less bellicose disagreements).  I’ve seen these entities in action (I remember one called REOS Partners
https://reospartners.com/) and I believe these professional approaches could help a contentious working group be more purposeful, efficient and effective-Maybe pack months of work into a few days.

If this notion  is seen completely out of the ICANN  MSM self-governance comfort zone, perhaps one of these professional organizations could help train ICANN community volunteer/leaders and perhaps also ICANN staff, on these communication and consensus building techniques. ICANN org would get great ‘bang for the buck’ in investments such as these, which would both enhance participation and speed-up processes in WGs & PDPs.

Javier Rúa-Jovet

+1-787-396-6511
twitter: @javrua
skype: javier.rua1