[ALAC] [ALAC-Announce] VOTE ANNOUNCEMENT: ALS Application (307) Internet Society Rural Development Special Interest Group

Tijani BEN JEMAA tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn
Thu Sep 19 07:02:36 UTC 2019

  Alan,

  "but I have an aversion for doing things in violation of our own rules and
the ICANN Bylaws."
I agree 100%

Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> a écrit :

> [...]
>> process.  And as part of our Review we are finding that many of our
>> processes need updating to keep up with the changing needs of the
>> environments we are having to deal with.
>>
>> EURALO itself has been faced with an anomaly which does not fit the
>> rules, but we have found LACRALO to be very obliging to cater for it.
>> And as we revise our ALS Criteria and Expectations we will have to
>> include a new "rule" that allows for  ALSes to participate in an event
>> on a neighbouring country that "does not belong to the region in which
>> they are situated". BIKLAB is now a precedent which will allow this to
>> happen more within our system as long as there is agreement between the
>> regions concerned.
>>
>> APRALO has many small island countries in the Pacific that have been
>> unable to participate in ICANN activities in their own right under our
>> current rules because they are territories of big power countries
>> (mainly in EURALO) who are given no support from their home region and
>> would have no idea what EURALO was. Pacific countries are an anomaly
>> because as all the 22 countries and territories of the Pacific are
>> members of the Pacific Forum, they are therefore members of PICISOC, so
>> in fact are members of an ALS already -- so we have international
>> participants in our membership, even though they live in the Pacific.
>>
>> Maureen
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, 3:14 PM Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, <ocl at gih.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>   *     Dear Maureen,
>>
>>   *     I am very surprised to see this having reached the ALAC with a
>> recommendation from APRALO that this should be accepted. This should
>> have been picked up at Due Diligence: Internet Society Special Interest
>> Groups are global as per the explanation on
>> https://www.internetsociety.org/sigs
>>   *     This countervenes ALAC rules which specify that ALSes must be
>> geographical. See tinyurl.com/ALAC-RoP-AdjDoc4-2013-07[1]
>>
>>   *     "2. Be organised so that participation by individual Internet
>> users who are citizens or residents of countries within the Geographic
>> Region in which the ALS is based will predominate in the ALS'
>> operation. The ALS may permit additional participation by others that
>> is compatible with the interests of the individual Internet users
>> within the region."
>>
>>   *     The key words are "be organised" - and as much as I support the
>> work of the Internet Society Rurel Special Interest Group, rural areas
>> are not limited to Asia. Unless there is a commitment that this SIG
>> will restrict the majority of its membership to come from the Asia
>> region. The explicit response of the SIG in due diligence was "this is
>> a global SIG".
>>
>>   *     I also have a concern that it would be possible to create one
>> SIG after another in ISOC and the meaning of ALS no longer applies as
>> you are effectively creating votes.
>>
>>   *     The question of "geographical" was asked on the APRALO mailing

https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/apac-discuss/2019-September/004952.html[2]
) but I do not see any response to

https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Advisory+Committee+(ALAC[8]
> )
> delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.

Liens:
------
[1] http://tinyurl.com/ALAC-RoP-AdjDoc4-2013-07
[2]