[ALAC] Review of ROP fo ALSes

Alberto Soto alberto at soto.net.ar
Tue Sep 10 18:09:14 UTC 2019

Dear Daniel, a few days ago I was invited to speak at an engineering congress in Colombia (IV Engineering and Society Forum) organized by an ALS of LACRALO, seven universities and other professional associations. ICANN was not cited in its subject, although that theme was closely related to policy development issues at ICANN. Then I chose the theme "Industries 4.0 Internet security of things". And I talked about SAC 105. And there ICANN entered an event not organized by ICANN and that got a lot of attention for the amount of questions at the end.

By this I mean: We have very active, but not participatory, ALSs in ICANN processes. To make them participate, you don't have to spend money (or not so much money). It would only be necessary for our leaders of the Ralos to make an effort to contact the ALSs and make the events known in advance, to offer the participation of people from each Ralo who are experts in some of the topics of those meetings and to be oriented to the participation in ICANN, but with concrete examples.

Another measure is to implement metrics (below I copy those already approved in LACRALO). And I agree that the leaders of each RALO should verify the contacts of each ALS. It is not good to have a lot, we need quality and participation.

Here the approved metrics:

 LACRALO -METRICS

ACTIVE PARTICIPATION

Participation and engagement criteria (indicators) are intended for:

-Meetings (virtual and face-to-face).

-Participation in working groups at all levels (LACRALO, ALAC, ICANN).

-Participation in mailing lists.

-Participation in local or regional events with specific content related to the topics covered by the MOU signed with ICANN.

Until otherwise defined, LACRALO's Chair and Secretary shall be responsible for creating Participation Tables. Any ALS member participation shall be valid for metrics.

For metrics record, identification of participants with the ALS acronym next to his /her name and surname is suggested.

LACRALO shall use the following criteria and thresholds to measure ALS participation within our region and in At-Large activities

1) ALS active participation shall mean: Participation in at least 50% (fifty percent) of monthly meetings (teleconferences),

2)Participation in at least one webinar

3) Having at least one ALS representative in one LACRALO; ALAC, ICANN.Attendance shall mean attendance to all the above instances within the last calendar year being considered.

 Participation in local or regional events is not mandatory, nor supplementary to the above-mentioned attendance requirements.

The Chair and Secretary shall be responsible for keeping regular contact with non-participating ALSs and said contact shall be duly documented. This is to maintain the inclusive criterion, in order to avoid de-certifications and to increase participation.

An ALS shall not be able to apply (on behalf of LACRALO) for funding for a representative to attend face-to-face meetings held, sponsored and funded by ICANN, unless it meets active

ALSes failing to comply with active participation criteria shall neither be able to apply for the CROP program.

Regards!!!

Alberto