[ALAC] Bad Actor Admission

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Feb 28 16:35:19 UTC 2019

I'm not so sure that I see the controversy, as I generally agree with
Ayden's view of ICANN.

I was at the first-ever Canadian IGF yesterday, whose keynote was Elliot
Noss triumphantly glowing over the power of multistakeholderism to put
governments in their place. It was all I could do to break out laughing.
The raw sense of entitlement, and the assertion that the "community" that
shows up at ICANN meetings is the only one that matters in Internet
decision making is ludicrous, and is maintained at high risk.

What ICANN calls governance can best be described not as
multistakeholderism so much as "the inmates are running the asylum". In a
later Canadian IGF session on disinfirmation, the head of policy at
Facebook Canada went into the "trust us, we're doing all we can" mantra
that many of us have heard so many times. The pattern is unambiguous,
whether it's Facebook, Tucows or anyone else in the "community". Left to
govern themselves, the Internet is becoming less safe in its content and
less safe in its infrastructure.

So, again,. please indicate what's so shocking in what Ayden said. I may
not share the common view of who the "bad actors" are.

- Evan

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 09:55, Bastiaan Goslings <
bastiaan.goslings at ams-ix.net> wrote:

> Thanks, John - interesting
>
> Just to make it a bit easier to see what this is about:
>
> https://twitter.com/ferdeline/status/1101040922995949569
>
> Which is in response to
> https://edri.org/icann-and-gdpr-nowhere-near-compliance/
>
> regards
> Bastiaan
>

> ***  Please note that this communication is confidential, legally
> privileged, and subject to a disclaimer:
> https://www.ams-ix.net/ams/email-disclaimer  ***
>

> > On 28 Feb 2019, at 15:36, John Laprise <jlaprise at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I didn't expect Ayden to publicly admit to being a bad actor.
> >
> > --
> > John Laprise
> > Consulting Scholar
> >
> > At-Large Online: http://www.atlarge.icann.org