[ALAC] ALAC Liaison to GAC/SSAC/GNSO/ccNSO

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 24 05:50:31 UTC 2018

It is time to consider the appointment of the
ALAC Liaison so other ACs and SOs for the year
starting at the completion of the ICANN63 meeting in Barcelona.

Our current Liaisons are:

ccNSO: Barrack Otieno
SSAC: Andrei Kolesnikov
GNSO: Cheryl Langdon-Orr
GAC: Yrjö Länsipuro

Barrack and Andrei were just appointed part way
through this year. Cheryl and Yrjö will both be
completing their second year in their respective
roles (plus a few months for Yrjö since he was
appointed a few months before the end of the year).

All four are prepared to serve for another year,
and the reports I have received as well as my
interactions with them indicate they are serving the ALAC well.

Our Rules of Procedure 18.2 (see below) allows us
to reappoint serving Liaison without opening a
formal call for Nominations/Volunteers.

All four are serving the ALAC well.

I do not see any merit at all in opening
nominations for the roles of SSAC and ccNSO Liaison at this time.

For the GNSO and GAC, I believe that stability is
of the utmost importance in both roles at the
moment. Our relationship with the GAC is
flourishing as evidenced by the recent
appointment of Ana Neves as the GAC Liaison to
the ALAC. With regard to the GNSO, as evidenced
by the recent decision to restrict the ALAC to
two Members for the EPDP and other events over
the past year, our relations are not the best. I
believe that we have the two EPDP seats in no
small part due to Cheryl's efforts and I believe
that it would not be wise to make a change now.

Therefore, in all four cases and in accordance
with ALAC RoP 18.2 (See
<http://tinyurl.com/ALAC-RoP-2016-09>http://tinyurl.com/ALAC-RoP-2016-09
and reproduced at the end of this message), I am
proposing that the ALAC re-appoint the current Liaisons.

If we choose to open nominations, and if there
are more than one candidate for a positions, our
current practice is to refer this selection to
the ALAC Appointee Selection Committee (as per
RoP 18.3) for a recommendation to the ALAC.

This will be on the agenda of today's ALAC call
and we will either reach a decision during the
meting or I will initiate a vote or Consensus call shortly thereafter.

Alan

=======================

ALAC Rules of Procedure

18.1 Appointments of At-Large Appointees to
various bodies both inside and outside of ICANN
will be made by the ALAC. Such appointments will
normally be initiated by a call for volunteers,
posted by the Chair/Staff to the Approved
Distribution Lists, and on other lists if
appropriate, allowing at least seven days for
people to volunteer. The decision regarding
appointments is typically made via Consensus.
However, the Chair will initiate a secret ballot
to determine which candidate is to be appointed
if Consensus cannot be reached or if this is requested by any ALAC Member.

18.2 By the decision of the ALAC, a current
Appointee who is willing to continue in that role
may be reconfirmed instead of initiating a new selection process.

18.3 In the case of selections requiring complex
criteria evaluation, the ALAC may choose to form
a sub-committee to carry out the analysis and to
make recommendations to the ALAC based on that analysis.

18.4 For situations where the ALAC is not
empowered to make appointments but rather to
endorse one or more candidates, essentially the
same process as described here for appointments
should be used, but with the outcome being an endorsement.