[ALAC] EPDP Early input

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 28 20:42:42 UTC 2018

As I replied to Marita, I can live with the short
statement she suggested but I would also like to
understand what reservations there are about the
specific issues addressed in SAC101. Although
there are items there that I was not previously
aware of, as far as I can tell (and I may have
missed something), all of their recommendations
are in support of providing adequate access for security professionals.

Alan

At 28/08/2018 04:17 PM, Holly Raiche wrote:
>Joanna, Marita- that’s what this list is for -
>listening to each other, and I”m really
>pleased to hear both of your voices.  The only
>way we can ever reach a real consensus is to
>speak up - and then listen respectfully - so great that both of you spoke up.
>
>Holly
>On 29 Aug 2018, at 6:03 am, Joanna Kulesza
><<mailto:jkuleszaicann at gmail.com>jkuleszaicann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you Marita. I am fully aware of that
>>controversy hence my concern. SSAC view of
>>adequate/tiered access might (?) be different
>>from ours, that's the reason for my questions.
>>Just a newcomer looking to learn ;)
>>
>>Looking forward to hearing other views,
>>J.
>>
>>W dniu wtorek, 28 sierpnia 2018 Marita Moll
>><<mailto:mmoll at ca.inter.net>mmoll at ca.inter.net> napisał(a):
>> > Hi. Yes, "adequate access" is a very blurry
>> term. However, tiered access is one of the key
>> topics being explored in the EPDP process --
>> and I guess there will be very intense
>> discussions about what is considered
>> "adequate" and for whom. The controversy is already in full swing.
>> >
>> > Marita
>> >
>> > On 8/28/2018 3:35 PM, Joanna Kulesza wrote:
>> >
>> > Thank you Alan, I fully see your point. As
>> already said, if the group do decide to go for
>> a more nuanced response, I'm happy to help
>> with the drafting. Just to briefly respond to
>> Marita's suggestion:  I would assume the
>> details of any "adequate access" are bound to
>> stir controversy. Yet if the group decide we
>> are for full endorsement, I will halt my concerns.
>> >
>> > Just my two cents. Thanks!
>> > J.
>> >
>> > W dniu wtorek, 28 sierpnia 2018 Alan
>> Greenberg
>> say whether our position is identical to that
>> of SSAC, but I cannot see anything in that
>> document that I do not believe is in support
>> of our needs. I do not think that we have the
>> bacndwidth to work from scratch at the moment,
>> and in a timely manner. Voicing support for
>> this report was a quick action that I believed
>> we could take without compromising our position.

>> we do not agree with and we could certainly
>> add those caveats if there was agreement.

>> meaning to stir the pot here - but I'm
>> wondering how close At-Large's/ALAC's position
>> is to that of the SSAC? Do we agree with their
>> report 100%? My initial thinking is that
>> representing users, we might want a somewhat
>> more diversified approach than that offered by
>> the SSAC, ensuring full GDPR compliance (I'm
>> happy to elaborate if needed). Also, would it
>> make sense to take on the positions of other
>> communities in our statement, if only for the
>> sake of future consensus building? As already
>> briefly mentioned to Alan, I'm happy to help with the drafting if needed.

> [...]
‚(a): As I mentioned on the ALAC