[ALAC] ALAC Statement on Reserve Fund

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 28 20:53:44 UTC 2017

At 28/11/2017 03:35 PM, Maureen Hilyard wrote:
>I agree that there needs to be more transparency with regards to the
>proposed use of the reserve fund.

I don't understand. The report is quite explicit on that.
    * Replenishing Operating Fund levels depleted by unbudgeted and
unmitigated short-term events or maintenance and replacement of
assets, or payment of liabilities,
    * Undertaking major downsizing or significant restructuring of
ICANN's operations.
    * Mitigating major security and stability threats and attacks.
    * Covering unplanned legal costs.
    * Undertaking new and major programs resulting from a new
strategic plan or exceptional unforeseen external events.
    * Continue operations after a disaster."

>If we were going to add a particular purpose for additional funds to
>help ICANN do their work,  I would recommend some of the high
>priority or prerequisite recommendations of the CCTRT report -
>especially those that suggest support for outreach and the new gtld
>application process for the Global South.

Those sound like things we should budget and not unexpected contingencies....

Alan