[ALAC] Fw: Interesting article about parked domains

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun May 21 19:01:45 UTC 2017

At 21/05/2017 01:48 PM, Andrei Kolesnikov wrote:
>In my previous practice: up to 10% of search
>revenue went to parked domains (in Russia) in
>2010 before Google and Yandex changed keywords
>and reference links measurements, took it down below 1%.

Yes, that is my roughly experience as well - my
statement was about current search results.

>Expired domains, auctions is a significant part
>of registrars business. There is nothing wrong
>when buying good names at extra price. The
>process of expiration is kind of uniform for
>gTLD world, however ccTLDs use different schemes.

Indeed, and even the monetization of expired
domains could help some registrar's bottom lines.
Which is why we did not push to eliminate it. The
practice that we found inappropriate was
sometimes deliberately not letting registrants
know their names were expiring (or putting no
effort into it) and then IF they allowed renewal,
charging high prices for renewal based on their
monetization experience. Or simply because they
could. Selling to other bidders once the name was
truly expired and not renewed is fair game. As is
picking up dropped names and offering to sell
them back to original registrant for high prices.
Unsavory perhaps, but all legit.

Ever since ICANN started, there has been a
to-and-fro game being played between ICANN and
registrars with ICANN trying to provide a "safety
net" (that is the expression that was used) for
accidentally expired names and registrars finding
a way around it. The best example is this one day
in 2003 when ICANN announced that a PDP had
"restored the safety net" and registrars
announcing they had found a way to bypass it -
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2004-09-21-en
and https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2004-09-21-en.

Alan