[ALAC] RDS Review

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Jan 10 17:03:01 UTC 2017

Evan, you are coming into this late. To refresh everyone's mind...

The Board has made it clear that it is not a
Board decision to decide on a recommended scope, but a community decision.

The idea on the table for a limited review was
mine, and the ALAC has formally supported it.

All other AC/SOs either supported it or did not
(initially) object. Since then, the GAC has said
they do not favour a reduced scope. One GNSO
person had indicated that she had concerns about
the limited scope. By the time the GNSO finished
discussing it, the message I forwarded was the result.

It will be hard to revewrse the direction again
given that this is largely a GNSO issue and
supported by the GAC. Given that, how At-Large
staffs this with knowledgable volunteers will be
difficult. With the reduced scope, I was willing
to volunteers (as one of the few people who had
fully studied the last WHOIS RT). I am not willingto do so for a widened scope.

I have forwarded the message to the RDS PDP.

Alan