[ALAC] Replacement Electors

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 10 21:18:47 UTC 2017

The restriction of a candidate not voting in the election is a
requirement from the ICANN Bylaws. That is not likely to change.

The process to allow a RALO to name a replacement elector is in the
ALAC RoP. The rules were carefully crafted so as to not negatively
impact a NomCom appointed ALAC member if they chose to run for the
Board seat - in the absence of such a rule, the vote would simply be
uncast. If the ALAC so wishes, that can be changed at some point in
the future, but this current selection is being run under the current RoP.

The replacement elector is bound by the same rules as other ALAC
members. They MUST NOT cast a directed vote but must be what the
elector (and I quote RoP 19.10.4) "believes to be in the best
interests of At-Large, the ALAC and ICANN". What is listed and what
is not listed here was deliberately crafted.

Alan