[ALAC] Consensus Call: ALAC Liaisons for 2017-18

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 16 15:43:25 UTC 2017

Answers embedded below.

At 16/08/2017 02:51 AM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:

>Hello Alan,
>
>Am not sure I understand why we will be
>selecting more than 1 person for Maureen to
>mentor since only one person will serve as
>replacement of her. Selecting more than 1 will
>also make travel difficult to allocate.

We may not select more than 1, but that will
depend on the people who put their names forward.
We don't want to waste people's time or other
resources, but it may not be obvious at the start
who the best candidate is. If there is more than
one, travel could be an issue (depending on
whether the person is already funded or not) and
that will surely be a consideration, but only one of them.

>Secondly I think it's important to be clear from
>start the maximum number of months that this
>mentorship will take so whoever is selected will
>be able to assume his/her role.

My personal opinion is it will be several months,
covering at least one and perhaps two ICANN
meetings. That will depend on whether the initial
selection is made prior to ICANN60, whether the
candidates will be in Abu Dhabi, and just how
quickly it goes. I am sure that Maureen will do
this as quickly as practical, and she may have
some comments to add. In my mind, the ABSOLUTE
limit is the 2018 AGM, but I surely hope the
transition is complete prior to then.

>Lastly I hope the selection of the replacement
>will be done by/before Abu dhabi so those that
>were selected will then have the opportunity to
>start attending next ICANN meeting.

I am optimistic that we will have completed out
initial selection for the SSAC prior to Abu
Dhabi. I cannot address whether the SSAC
Membership Committee and the SSAC will have completed their part by then.

For the ccNSO, it is pretty clear it will not be done by then.

If we really though that these selections could
be made before the meeting, there would be no
need to reappoint Maureen and Julie on an interim basis.

Alan