[ALAC] Improving Contractual Compliance

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 20:27:10 UTC 2017

Hi, Evan.

"Yet I remain optimistic given the new management."

RAR: Yes. I believe this is the spirit of the times and I am seeing
willingness to improve and preparation for improvement in ORG under Göran's
leadership.

"What is (and has long been) badly needed is honesty and clarity. What is
in scope for compliance and what isn't. Where ICANN can intervene and where
its hands are tied. Diligence to act where it can, a commitment to at least
decent publicly-targeted education in areas in which is constrained, and
the research needed to recommend rule changes to close loopholes."

RAR: I believe this is where the CEO and Board focus would be in guiding
Compliance. The At-Large could think about whether and how it would want to
position itself with regard to outreach and education as next step
discussions with the CEO and Jamie when they come to talk to the ALAC
during ICANN meetings (or in between).

RAR: Separate but related, it would be very helpful if the ALAC could
compile issues (in brief/summary) where it thinks ICANN policy outcomes are
weak from the end user and registrant perspective for discussions with the
Management and the Board. With this we can engage in a systemic level
discussion and figure out how to help improve the system as a whole. This
would be a strategic level engagement that would supplement the ALAC's
existing issues-based engagement. Something for the ALAC to consider.

Best regards,

Rinalia